Din Tai Fung Crispy Beef Strips
How to prepare your Crispy Beef Strips:
- Thaw out the beef strips in the fridge overnight.
- In a clean deep pan, pour your choice of cooking oil to around 1-2 inches high, or just enough for deep frying. Heat the oil over high heat until the temperature reaches 170 C, for around 15-18 minutes.Note: If without a thermometer, dip the end of a wooden spoon or chopstick into oil. If the oil steadily bubbles around the utensil, it should be ready. If bubbling is too vigorous, oil is too hot.
- In a clean bowl, prepare an egg wash by combining 1 whole egg with ¼ cup of water.
- Coat beef strips with egg wash and evenly dredge with 200gm (roughly 2 cups) of cornstarch. Shake off excess cornstarch.
- Gradually and slowly add the beef strips into the hot oil. Make sure the beef strips are loose and not stuck together.
- Deep fry the beef until golden brown and crispy, for around 7-8 minutes. If needed, fry in batches to avoid overcrowding the pan. If beef pieces clump together, break apart with tongs.
- Remove from pan, shake off excess oil, and transfer to a bowl lined with a paper towel. Let it cool for around 30 seconds to let the crust crisp up.
- Heat the sauce in a pan over medium heat (for around 3 minutes), or in the microwave just until warmed through (for around 45 seconds).
- Take the paper towel out and pour sauce over the fried beef. Carefully toss until evenly coated.
- Transfer to a plate and serve hot.